Thursday, November 08, 2007

Camping on Cloud 9

Just a short post today to celebrate the news I got yesterday. While working furiously on some drawings, an Outlook window popped up temporarily blocking my view. In annoyance at all the incoming emails, my cursor darted down to close the window. Before I could click though, something caught my eye and I opened the message.

It's official. I passed my CTS-D certification. For those that didn't know back in September (23-29), I took a week long course followed by a take home test on a Friday night, and a10 hour (straight, no break for lunch) test on a Saturday that involves creating an entire Audiovisual design package (plan views, device locations, elevations, reflected ceiling plans, device wiring, heat load calculations, equipment rack layouts, siteline calculations, sound level calculations, brightness calculations, and more) as well as an oral evaluation where you get interegated for ten to thirty minutes depending on how well you're answering the questions.

You then wait over a month not knowing how you did. So after over a month I know, I passed. Not too shabby either, 80 on the practical (giant design package); 92% on the take home and 95% on the oral. Considering how short a time I've really been doing AV (as distinct from acoustics) I felt really good about those numbers.

Oh, and I FINALLY ordered my digital SLR I've been drooling over for 3 years. Amon told me to, and I found a good deal on an entry level SLR from Nikon (D40) that I've read excellent reviews about. It isn't a cadillac, but it should do everything I need it to, it's a huge step up from a point and shoot, and it's in my budget. I'm very happy about that.

So I'm a happy camper right now. And I get to go to small group tonight and be with all my fellow Narnians.

Mike

5 comments:

Patti said...

Yay!! Way to go! (Not that anyone's surprised)

Anonymous said...

Mikey, YEAH you. Your dad and I are so proud of you. Congratulations. Think maybe we could get you to hook up a home theater sometime??? Love you,
Mom and dad

Anonymous said...

Combolations! Daaaang, the CTS-D looks like it cost a butt-load of money just to take, and it didn't sound friendly, but it seems to be worth it; I mean, you were pretty much the baddest mofo designer of "audiovisual communications equipment interoperation" before, but now it's official! Awesome, man! p.s. Do you have to renew every now and again?

Anonymous said...

You stink so bad!!! The D40 is the camera that I want SOOOOO badly. The only problem is that I want to be able to take it with me anywhere and it would be really hard to put an SLR in my purse. I want something slim that takes good pics and has a big LCD. Maybe one of Nikon's Coolpix cameras? Dunno. Glad you're getting one though. Maybe I can play around with it at Christmas. :)
CONGRATS on the certification! Mom said it's really hard, like boards for nursing or something. Hmm, speaking of that, I need to find a spare $200 for the fee.
Can't wait to see you and Amon at Christmas. I love you!

blackbird said...

Wow, congratulations Mike! Also, the digital SLR makes me drool as well.