Monday, September 22, 2008

CVC "Virtual Tour"...first steps

It’s been awhile since I’d updated my Flickr but hopefully you’ll agree it was worth the wait. I finally got around to rough processing some of the photos I’ve taken around the CVC lately and I picked a few of my favorites to post. Once the CVC opens (allegedly this December to visitors) it’s certainly going to be the buzz around town. The sheer volume of the space is almost without precedent on the Hill, which is certainly a meaningful statement given the nature of monumental architecture.

One of the most impressive spaces is the newly dubbed “Emancipation Hall”, previously the “Great Hall”. They have started moving statues in and included in the list of sculpture and statuary is the original model for the “Freedom Statue” as sculpted by Thomas Crawford himself. This is the plaster model that was transported to the US on a leaky ship and used for casting the actual bronze statue atop the US Capitol Dome. Even given the massive size of the statue, when trying to view it from ground level the detail is hard to make out at the top of the dome. About all you can gather is that it appears to be some kind of Indian. Well it isn’t. You can get a much closer look at all the detail by checking out the statue from right at it’s feet in Emancipation Hall.

If you can’t wait until December though, go check out my Flickr site for a few shots of the “Freedom Statue” being reassembled in Emancipation Hall. You’ll also see some of the other statues they’ve already brought in, catch a glimpse of the visitor’s auditorium, and if you’re still not impressed, check out the whole CVC set including some of my past CVC shots.

Hopefully I’ll be adding more CVC photos as I have the chance. Lastly, I took some fun pictures at the Sackler and the Freer Smithsonian museums this weekend that I hope to be editing and posting soon. If you're going to be in the area soon I recommend seeing the "Seascapes" exhibit by Tryon and Sugimoto on display until January 25, 2009. Very calming and maybe slightly inspiring. Worthy of contemplation.

I Love DC!

Stay Tuned!!!

Mike

1 comment:

Jana said...

Thanks again for the tour! I'm excited that it is finally open!