Thursday, September 10, 2009

Fall Origins

Today was fall. It doesn’t start until September 22nd at 5:18 PM EST according to the astronomers and those responsible for all the various standards around the world. But today was fall.

It had felt quite autumnal several days this week, but this was the first day of fall. When I went outside it was distinctly cool. It had been cool several days this week. On my way to work, the sky was gray. It had been gray several days this week. I could tell it was now fall because when I got to work, all I wanted to do was go home, lay on the couch drinking hot tea and watching depressing movies. Instead, I listened to depressing music while I drank tea and drafted. It wasn’t ideal, but then it wasn’t my idea to have fall start two weeks early. I wasn’t prepared.

If I had stayed home and watched movies, the movies I would have watched in no particular order would have been:
-High Fidelity
-Royal Tenenbaums
-Amilie
-The Princess Bride
-Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Each of these movies is on the list for their own reason. Most are on the list because they have good music, are familiar enough that if you dooze off you don’t have to worry about waking up and not knowing where you are, and they fit the fall mood fall. The Princess Bride is on there to keep me from actually getting depressed. It’s good to laugh and remember that Fall’s only one of the four seasons.

So, that’s an update on what I didn’t do today. So go drink some tea, coffee, hot chocolate, or spiced cider, make sure your sweaters are ready, and have a Happy Fall!

1 comment:

Erin Colburn said...

Why do you think Fall is so depressing for you? I love it. My favorite season ranking goes:
1. Fall
2. Spring
3. Winter
4. Summer