Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Rain Drops Keep Falling on My Head

Acquiring an umbrella and retaining it throughout late summer and early fall is of critical importance to urban dwellers. The consequences can be mild in the event of a light sprinkle to disastrous in event of a late summer storm. Especially vulnerable are those particular urbanites whose commute to work involves not the usual 45 minute bumper to bumper but the 15 minute sidewalk hike.

I had misplaced my umbrella several weeks ago, only to find that the very time I chose to lose it was the very time nature decided to return some overdue water the much appreciative ground. I intended to purchase a new umbrella but in keeping with a disturbing trend I’ve noticed lately, the urge to purchase the umbrella was only high when it was raining, at which time the purchasing of the umbrella was of less importance than the rushing home as quickly as possible.

Several days ago while leaving for work at the same time as my roommate, in the rain, I noticed that while she had an umbrella in her hand, an umbrella remained under the table by the door. I asked her if she would mind my borrowing her extra umbrella, at which time she informed me that the other umbrella wasn’t hers. I looked and, sure enough, the umbrella was that very one I thought had been lost.

It turns out the umbrella must have been left around the house prompting someone, other than myself, to relocate the umbrella to a place more fitting for storage of such items. However, since no relocation notice was given (and owing in large part to my own laziness I suppose) I was rained on more times that I ought to have been.

Having said all of that, there is something refreshing about walking in the rain when it isn’t overly cold and you aren’t risking damage to some precious bit of electronics or clothing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Personally, I prefer the trench coat and fedora.  So classy that rain can't touch this!