Thursday, July 28, 2005

Explanation

I have to explain the below post. I had this phrase pop into my mind one morning when I woke up about 4 months ago. It was the first four lines of the following bit of poetry/prose. As I went through my morning routine it just kept going through my mind and it evolved a bit. The imageery for the first section of verse also crept in there. This all happened without much concious thought on my own behalf.

Eventually I decided I should write this down, just for the fun of it. As I was writing it down, pretty much everything else came out in one take. I sat on it for a couple months then, remembering it, went back and re-read it. I started doing some editing until I got to the point where I found I couldn't decide if certain things should be added, removed or changed. That's the point I find myself at now. SO, your job is to tell me what you think of this bit of poetry? verse? I don't know what to call it. As is typical of most things I write it is rather heavy handed, so bear that in mind as you read over it. Also, this is the first thing I've ever workshopped, so be gentle yet constructive.

3 comments:

blackbird said...

You know, when I read this peice, I could feel some tears welling up in my eyes. I'm not sure why--maybe because I've seen myself trying to remain neutral, which I have found to be impossible. I feel a bit ashamed but ready to try again. Mike, I am impressed. It's quite beautiful.

Grant Randall said...

i do love a good workshop, but at the moment i've got about 2 hours free, just about enough time for 9 holes. i shall return.
g

Alex said...

9 holes? go back to overland park in your jaguar, yuppy.