Monday, August 08, 2005

Thanks to the Anonymous Dominoes Guy

So Abigail and I were on our way to this site visit to measure the privacy in a board-room, when we realized we were lost; we'd taken a wrong turn when we got off the metro. So Abigail starts walking around trying to orient herself, and at the same time trying to talk to our contact at this company for directions. I on the other hand, start looking around like a lost little preschooler. I know, pathetic. Whatever. It was her contact and I don't know the Alexandria area at all. Plus I was lugging a bunch of equipment around.

Cut to about 10 minutes later.

I see a dominoes delivery car pull up to a stop sign so I wave at him and run over to the car. I'm thinking delivery guy, these people are like a rolling road atlas, right? The guy rolls down the window and I ask him, "Hey, do you know which way to Prince Street?" He responds with some vague hand waving in mostly english words, and I realize this is doing me no good. I smile and thank him for taking the time to give me directions. Turning around quite dejectedly and realizing we are still lost, I begin to walk back to the equipment.

The delivery guy starts to turn the corner (towards us) when he pulls over again and says, "Prince street?" Abigail hears him and tells him the actual address. The delivery guy then says something that I didn't expect, "I'm headed that way, why don't you just jump in. I'll drive you." I was a little hesitant at first, until I realized. Wait a minute, this guy has pizza. He isn't going to take the time to drive us out into the middle of nowhere, take our stuff, dump us off and drive away. He has a delivery time to make! We're safe.

So five minutes later he is dropping us off right at the front door of the office we needed to go to, and I'm taking the pizza bag off my lap and climbing out of the car. It was the most random and crazy work story yet. Wierd, wierd times.

3 comments:

Patti said...

I'd say that this qualifies as a worth while story. Also, as a former pizza delivery person, I appreciate the shout-out to a member of the brotherhood.

blackbird said...

Aren't random events so wonderful?

~mike said...

yeah, I know what you mean. I had to literaly force myself to read the second half just because I felt like I needed to read it. It certainly reminded me that just because a book is well known or old doesn't mean it is awesome.