Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Change of Plans

Ok, I was going to re-read Celebration of Discipline, but I think that before I do that I am going to get started on the new books I bought at Borders last night. I got the Lord of the Rings books, plus the Hobbit. I'm starting with the Hobbit (nothing like starting at the beginning). I'm pretty excited. I've read the first couple chapters and I'm already thinking this book is going to be dangerous.

Here's the deal. While I am definitely enjoying the acoustics thing (you know, the LESS than a year I've been at it...), I still sometimes, pine(?) for something more. To be more accurate, for something less. My dream would be to live a life that much more closely approximated that exhibited by the hobbits in Tolkiens books. Spending the day reading, eating, drinking, being with good friends. Living in a house under a hill, uhm...having hairy feet. Ok, so some of it would be better than other. The point though is that I'm drawn towards that kind of simple life while at the same time being drawn towards that which is more accurately portrayed by the people in the city. It isn't the desire to not have to work, it is more the environment and the nature of the work.

I think that if nothing else, the next years will hopefully teach me what kind of a person I am; am I made for smaller towns and more simplicity, or the crowds and faces of the city. So off I go on my quest to read the over 1000 pages that are the LOR and the Hobbit, and also on my quest in the city. Wish me luck on my journies ;)
MikeyC>

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck on your journeys! We miss you and speak of you often.

Patti

Anonymous said...

I am a bit worried about the lifestyle you pine for, the eating and drinking sounds fine but the living under a hill and allowing the world see your hairy feet scares the momma hobbit. The city world is not ready for hairy feet my son.

Anonymous said...

oh hairy hobbitses
i miss the sunbear
-grizzle

Anonymous said...

Henry David Thoreau, anyone?
-Erin-