Thursday, April 07, 2005

I'm Wide Awake, It's Mourning?

Would that be a more apt title? When looking up the correct spelling of Mourning (YES, I know the album is titled morning), I found that one use is to murmur mournfully -- used especially of doves (see Merriam Webster). Just thought that was an interesting contrast. Most people see doves as signs of joy (like weddings) and peace, so to have a common usage of the word mournful associated with them was, I thought, interesting. Possibly because they are so solemn?

The real point of this post was to ask a question. If you've listened to this particular Bright Eyes album, what is your favorite song on it? Sub-question, what is your favorite Bright Eyes album if you've listened to multiple?

I've really only listened to I'm Wide Awake, and Digital Ashes, so my favorite album is Wide Awake. My favorite song is Lua. I don't really know why (correction, I don't know how to explain it succinctly) but it is mournfully beautiful. My second place pick would be At the Bottom of Everything. That's all.

.gibran.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's evening here.

Steak

Grant Randall said...

landlocked blues.