Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Intro to a Really Long Blog

(See previous blog for list of why I love Lawrence)

Recently my friend Grant wrote in his blog about how nice it was in Lawrence, which made me sad. Thanks alot Grant. However this made me stop and think about some things.


I have moved. A lot. For those that don’t know, and as a recap for those that do, my “map” would look something like: Topeka, KS (born); Dayton, OH (First years); Omaha, NS (next 4); Louisville, CO (next 4); Prattville, AL (yup); St. Charles, MO (High School); Lawrence, KS (College); Washington, DC (current). Maybe it’s just me, but that’s a bunch of moving.

I never bothered to say where I was from before college but once there, you get asked a lot. Since I went to high school in MO, and my parents were still there, MO became my default answer when I didn’t feel like reiterating the entire list. However, I have made a decision.

When people ask me where I’m from for now on (unless of course they are talking about where I currently live) I’m saying Kansas. It just makes the most sense. I was born there, and I lived there as long as anywhere else. The majority of my family is still there, including my grandma on my dad’s side, and my grandpa on my mom’s side. Not to mention that I have officially decided that Lawrence is my favorite city…ever.

3 comments:

Grant Randall said...

1) a good default answer when asked is. "I was a military kid." but kansas is A-OK as well.
2) your grandma and grandpa should hook up for coffee sometime.

~mike said...

Yeah, unfortunately that would be quite an expedition for two older types, one lives in western KS, and the other lives in Atchison.

Yeah, but the "military brat" thing is still a little too complicated somtimes because then they want to know what cool exotic places I've lived and I'm all, "uhm...colorado was cool." I wish we had lived overseas one time.

Alex said...

Lawrence is the greatest city ever. But that doesn't mean it's not OK to be away.
Your Fellow Traveler,
Alex