Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Memorial Day Weekend - The Post That Wouldn't End

I hope everyone out there had a wonderful and relaxing Memorial Day weekend.

Friday I went and helped Amy, a friend (not just some person), prepare communion kits for all 3 church locations. I think they said in all we made over 600 kits. It was fun sitting around talking with the other 3 people helping put the kits together though. Then Friday night Amon was both free and in town so we went out. We had dinner on U street at Duke’s City (named after Duke Ellington I would imagine since it’s practically across the street from the Lincoln Theater) and dessert a few blocks down at Love CafĂ© (run by the same people who own Cake Love). I can heartily recommend the strawberry shortcake, oh so delicious.

Saturday I managed to meet up with Malcolm and Amy to see the Bartok string quartet perform a piece that was commissioned by the Library of Congress in the 40’s. It was the first time this piece has been performed in the Library of Congress’s Auditorium. Afterwards Malcolm helped me lug some furniture around, and then he and I went to Dpont Crcle to get a Krispy Kreme donut and watch some kids do the robot dance quite impressively.

Sunday was fun because I got to go to the 11:00 Union Station church service, then I met up with Wendell, Malcolm, and Amy to go to Wendell’s brother’s house and eat traditional Trini food. It was strongly influenced by (Western?)-Indian food and included Roti (a kind of flat bread), potatoes and chick peas in a curry based sauce, and chicken on the bone stewed in a wonderful blend of seasonings (including brown sugar). It was all cooked by Wendell’s mom who did an excellent job (they are from Trinidad). After dinner Wendell, Malcolm, Amy, Malcolm's sister and I sat around and played Scrabble.

Monday found me over at Malcolm’s to help with a Barbeque/pool party. Malcolm had invited one of his co-workers to help us cook and it was amazing. This guy brought his own grill and equipment, including real skewers (the flat metal kind you see at places that specialize in kabobs) and probably 15 or 20 pounds of good quality beef that had been marinating in something excellent for quite awhile. It turned out to be some of the best, most tender beef I’ve had in a long time. We supplemented that with barbeque chicken and some fresh fruit. Then of course there were some chips, delicious drinks, good friends, and a wonderful pool. It was a good day.

About the only thing missing from this weekend (Sat. through Monday, yes I realize Monday isn’t the weekend, but it was a holiday) was Amon. She flew back to Michigan to be with her family and should get back in town today. Her grandmother passed away last Monday and the service was Sunday. While it would have been nice to have her around, it is good that she was able to make it back and be with her family. Amon, my prayers are still with you and your family.

Now I’m back at work for today through Thursday. Next Monday I start my new job. I admit to being a bit nervous, but at the same time quite excited. It should be an excellent opportunity to build on the things I’ve learned here, as well as working on developing another skill set, and meeting new people. Wow, less than a week away.

4 comments:

Amy Bushatz said...

So. I think you meant Wendell's sister ... not Malcolm's sister ..at the scrabble game. Pretty sure I've never met Malc's family. ... but thanks for saying that im NOT just some person. Now I feel all warm and fuzzy inside and stuff.

Anonymous said...

Yea, I was gonna ask if Malcolm had another sister I don't know about. I obviously didn't get to play Scrabble with you all.

~mike said...

Hmm, yes. While it would have been excellent to have played Scrabble with Molly it was, alas, Wendell's sister. Though Wendell's sister was a very good Scrabble opponent.

Grant Randall said...

i believe it was in the lost gospel of thomas where we find the apostles, sans Jesus, in the lower room beside the kitchen and before the bathroom, preparing the communion kits to be taken to the upper-room for passover. you are a saint gebron.