Monday, May 08, 2006

New Music Monday

I’ve encountered some new music lately that I wanted to make a quick note of…These aren’t intended to be full reviews (I’ve only heard one album by each of these people), but rather notices to keep your eyes (or ears) open for these artists.

Denison Whitmer:
I’m really enjoying listening to the cd, “Are you a Dreamer”. The cover art seems to indicate he isn’t taking himself too seriously, but not in a, “Hey I think life is a big joke” sort of way, more in a “Hey I realize that life is too short to not enjoy the small things,” sort of way. The instrumental portions of the music remind me, ocassionally, of Sufjan Stephens on Illinoise (who I’m told he’s toured with). Whitmer’s vocals stand up wonderfully among the better singer song writers of today. Despite the fact that Josh Ritter makes a conscious effort to hark back to artists like Dylan, Whitmer pulls the whole package off better, in my humble opinion. I still love Josh Ritter’s sparse work on Bone of Song and other songs on Hello Starling, but that’s another subject.

Rosie Thomas:
Someone I know has called Rosie Thomas the match to Denison Whitmer. Lyrics from the song October on “When We Were Small”, “Some days when she is slightly down, tell her it is ok to frown, it makes you just fall more in love with her.” I lack the proper music library to discuss Rosie’s voice, but the ambience her music creates is undeniable. When you listen to her songs you feel like you’re alternately wearing your most comfortable sweater watching it rain outside, or sipping tea on a sun covered leather couch rereading your favorite book.

Brandi Carlile:
Ah Brandi Carlile. I first heard about Brandi Carlile when she opened for Jamie Cullum. I was so satisfied after hearing her that if Jamie had pulled a no show, I would have still felt great about the concert (he did play though and his energy was INSANE). Have you ever watched someone who is excellent at something? It could be as simple as watching an expert chef cut an onion, the sort of thing that happens in kitchens all over the world every night. But the way they do it reveals how many thousands of times they have used that knife, how well they understand the entire process they are involved in, and how supremely competent they are. Listening to Brandi sing Hallelujah was like that. Her combination of youth and talent (hey, she started EARLY in life) result in someone with an already well developed skill presenting life in a very fresh way.

3 comments:

Alex said...

Gibranimo,
Have you heard the new Josh Ritter? A-M-A-Z-I-N-G...you can stream the whole thing here:
http://www.flashenhanced.com/joshritter/
"Monster Ballads" is one of the best songs I've heard...well, ever.

Oh, and when are we going to start this book forum? And what book? I'm excited...let us dialogue.

~mike said...

PT and I just decided on a forum package. All that remains is for me to register a domain and have PT make the appropriate setups.

I'm hoping to have it going by the beginning of June.

If there were a few people who wanted to do Brothers Karamazov, we could definitely do that. I had considered formatting the forum to have an area for discussing various books, and then an area for book reviews/recommendations as well as music reviews/recommendations.

I know I can get music reviews at 6million other websites, but putting it on the forum means I can hear from my various friends whose musical tastes I know and mostly trust!

Amy Bushatz said...

Im a big Dennison and Brandi fan ... have you heard Garrison Starr?