Thursday, January 20, 2005

Thinking

http://www.geocities.com/mikeygibran/pics/woodenroom.jpg
I’m starring out the window at the slowly melting snow, drinking tea, and just kind of enjoying this moment. Green as the grass that might grow on the 23rd Psalm. That is green. It is the green that Josh Ritter is talking about in his song Rainslicker. I wonder if that kind of green exists anywhere this side of glory. Katy Bowser talks about being “So Nostalgic” for heaven and I wonder, is heaven the kind of place you can really be nostalgic for? I want to correct her, to tell her what she really means, but I think that she has said exactly what she wants to say. The feelings she has for heaven sometimes are much more like nostalgia than they are like anything else. I trust this is what she means because even though I can’t explain it any better, I feel the same thing sometimes.

I guess that is enough for today. I really appreciate the letters and phone calls I have gotten from so many people back in Lawrence. Washington is a great place, and I’m truly enjoying my job, and yet…and yet. I’m having one of those rare moments where I just don’t know what to say other than I love all of you. Take advantage of the fact that you at least can pop by and see each other. You can talk over coffee, or go for a walk. Don’t waste that.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude. Your apartment looks girley. :)

steak

~mike said...

uhm...that's not my apartment. I wish it was, it is awesome. Unfortunately it is actually the people's house I'm staying at. It is a pretty nice house, unfortunately it "suffers" from that condition where the wife picks the interiors for most of the house. Anyway, it beats being in some run down dirty place, so I'm happy for now.
MikeyC>

Anonymous said...

"it beats being in some run-down dirty place ..."

I recognize that was a knock on 2215 Ohio. I'm hurt.

Steak

~mike said...

So when am I going to be able to go to a "virtual" 2215, complete with links to stories, pictures, and a link to BFCI? Have the developed an electronic odor emitter yet that could replicate the yeti couch?
MikeyC>

Anonymous said...

hi mikeyc-
Thanks for giving me the benefit of the doubt. If it helps, the thought is pretty directly derived from CS Lewis' Mere Christianity- one of my favorites. Peace and joy to you-
Katy Bowser