Saturday, May 07, 2005

Cold Roses

I promised a review of the new Ryan Adams album Cold Roses, and who better to give you this review than the sunbear himself? I don't have quite the music exposure that many of my friends do, I'm partial to the guys previous work, and I like most music I listen to. What could possibly make for a more critical review? And, we're off...

My review: Uhm, it’s good.

I actually started writing a review of this album, honestly – I did. You can see part of it at the end of this blog. Here’s the thing. I don’t like reviewing albums. I’ll tell you what I thought about a song, or even whether I particularly care for a certain artist. The thing is though you are much more likely to get this information out of me over a cup of tea or walking down the street. It just feels less like I'm trying to be authoritative that way; who am I to review his work? I just don’t feel I am particularly qualified.

If I had to predict anything about tonight, it would be that I’m going to end up spending the evening reading and hopefully doing some writing. I haven’t really felt like doing either of those lately, but I don’t know. It just seems like a good idea tonight. I do love to wallow in pools of romantic ideals, letting the shimmering light of nostalgia (past and future) just bath me in the knowledge of the way things ought to be, the way things will hopefully someday be. It feels good to remember what we are all struggling towards sometimes.

MikeyC>




Cold Roses:
"I've heard a lot of Adams fans say, "Eh, it was ok, but heartbreaker was soo much better." In fact the salesman said this when I purchased my first Adams cd, Love is Hell pt. 1 at Hastings. So apparently Roses had a pretty rich heritage to live up to. I won’t even attempt to answer whether he has in fact bested his earlier work, but I will go so far as to say it harkens back to it. I will say that.

“I think I understand why Adams chose Magnolia Mountain to be the greeting at the threshold of the album. It has the kind of beat that makes you want to just close your eyes and listen to the song, combined with the same vaguely ghostly back up vocals found on Carolina. In fact these back up vocals seem to follow him around the album. It’s kind of, nice.

As far as "

2 comments:

Alex said...

Lovely critique, especially for a sunbear. Do you prefer not to type such reviews b/c your excessively long talons cause you to mistype? I've not heard this album but I'll take your more than qualified write up as a strong invitation.

~mike said...

Yes, sunbears do infact have a naturally occuring "talon" of sorts, however professional sunbears are required to keep their talons to a minimum so as not to scare away potential clients.