Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Thomas Perryman Gilmore

I knew some day an end to the honeymoon must arrive. Today was the day. The rosy glow of enjoyment at being able to walk to worked survived through several days of waking up more tired than usual, a couple of gloomy mornings, and even one monsoon where walking to work involved crossing the narrow land bridges remaining above the growing ponds. It was put to the most extreme text today though as I had to walk to work with a sore ankle.

I’m uncertain how it happened but last night as I was standing up I noticed my ankle was really sore. So sore in fact, it hurt to walk to my bedroom. I was quite worried it might not be better when I got up in the morning and was faced with walking the 15 or 20 minutes to work. This morning I was somewhat relieved to find it was slightly better, but not all better. Walking to work didn’t feel great, but I didn’t die either, so that’s good.

I’m hoping by the time I have one more night of sleep it will be all better, but we’ll see. I have to admit though, a walk to work with a sore foot is still better than an hour and a half commute, so I will restrain myself from complaining in excess.

I’m re-reading Seven Storey Mountain again. Merton is such a good writer, and it doesn’t hurt that traveling around Europe and America that he describes arouse already present desires in me to do the same.

I’ve listened to one song probably 30 times in the last 2 weeks. I don’t know the name of it because it was on a mix cd given to me by a good friend, but it is by Matthew Perryman Jones.

This weekend I watched the first season of Gilmore girls on DVD, which I had on loan from the Milsters, the people I stayed with when I first moved to DC. I remembered again why I enjoy that show so much. The amazing dialog, the wonderful writing, and the impressive ability to banter exhibited by the actors is so different from anything else out there right now.

2 comments:

Grant Randall said...

Thomas Perryman Gilmore Colburn-

another thing to watch out for, in about a month your going ot be walking to work in 90 degree weather.

~mike said...

yeah, believe me...I've already started trying to figure out what I'm going to do to avoid getting to work drenched in sweet sweet perspiration.