Monday, June 27, 2005

Infrequent Updates

You can all blame the recent dearth of posts (7 days between posts, what the heck is that?) on me being in NY and having way too much work to do. If you really want to you can also blame it on the lack of internet access at my house. Either way though I realize a week lapse is lame. So another sweet and low week recap:

Sunday evening I arrived in NY and checked into my hotel. It was a nice place, but not great, located a block south of central park. I never managed to go for a real walk in central park although I walked along the edge of it on my way to Borders on Wednesday evening.

Monday decided that taking a taxi to work would be much more efficient than walking, so I did. It took a little while to get everything set up at the office but I finally managed. The project that I was up there to work on, primarily, was the Ritz Carlton project in Baltimore. One of the partners in the NY office is coordinating it, hence me being in NY for a week. After work I went out with a couple of the people from the NY office and spent too much money.

Tuesday was pretty tame. More work, and after work I really just felt like going back to the hotel. I picked up food on the way back Ray’s pizza and that was that.

Wednesday was pretty similar to Tuesday.

Thursday we had our monthly technical meeting so they provided pizza for lunch. Who has ever heard of lasagna pizza? Not me, but they had it anyway, along with a lot of other weird flavors. What ever. The Hawaiian was good and it had whole pineapple rings and whole sandwich size slices of ham. Yum. After work I went out with the same people I had hung out with Monday, plus Sara from the DC office (who had to come up for the technical meeting).

Friday I worked all day and took the train home from Penn station, which is only a couple blocks from the office. I have mixed feelings about the train although in general I think it’s cool. It would be much less mixed if it were a later train or less crowded.

I spent the weekend recuperating from the week in NY and dreading everything I am going to have to get done this week. I also went to the National Community Church again. The people there seem really nice although the format is still a little bizarre. In truth it feels like it’s halfway between XA and a “regular” church service. There are a lot of parallels to both. Meeting in a church requires that they set up and tear down after each service and the worship so far has been acoustic guitars, a violin, and hand drums. Pretty cool. The messages have also been quite interesting, although I secretly wish there was a little bit more just reading and expounding on scripture, and a little less – “let’s apply this to life and take examples from other sources”. I don’t mean to say there isn’t scripture involved or that the sermon isn’t derived from and based on scripture, because it is. I guess I don’t know what I’m saying, so I’ll stop talking until I do.

That was my week in a nutshell. That was the sweet and low. I need to start updating more so these don’t have to be so flaming long and scattered. Sorry about that. I have done some writing lately that I’d like to post but recently I have become more frustrated with my writing. Whenever I take a look at what I’ve written all I can think is, “My, somebody is melodramatic and heavy handed.” It’s gotten worse, to the point where I stop writing half way through something because I’m so frustrated by it. I wish I could have taken more writing classes in college. If I go back to school (when I go back to school?) I would like for it to be for either English or literature. Sigh.

Until then:

MikeyC>

2 comments:

Patti said...

Thanks for the update, and for the link! I feel special now.

~mike said...

As well you should, only the few the proud the: er...nevermind.