Monday, June 20, 2005

Short and Sweet

Sometimes when people just want the quick version of something they will say, “Give it to me short and sweet.” I wonder if I could get away with telling people to “Give me the sweet and low?” Furthermore, if I did this could I get sued by the Sweet and Low people, or how does that work? Any lawyers out there?

I will have to keep this Sweet and Low since I am at the NY office today, but here is a little recap:

1. Commerce Bank Situation. I haven’t gotten a new card, but I have put a stop on the old one. Since I have a bank in DC now, Wachovia, I am planning to wait another week or so, write a letter to close my Commerce account, and consolidate. I can’t think of any real reason to keep that account open, especially now that I can’t deposit OR withdraw money.

2. The mini-vacation was really great. I went to the Holocaust Memorial and it was really intense. After only the first exhibit I was so overwhelmed that I kept looking for the exit door and thinking, “I don’t really need to see the rest of this do I?” Despite this urge to turn my head, I made myself keep going through the exhibits until I ran out of time. It was a very sobering opportunity, and one that I think would have been best if immediately followed by reflection with others. Alas, I was by myself so I was forced to merely ponder the images by myself.

I also went to the Lincoln Memorial, and sitting on the steps with hundreds of others was forced to write very melodramatic, pseudo-philosophical notions in my notebook by the oppressive forces being exuded from the memorial. Some day, if you are bad, I will unleash these writings on the world. Pray that this never happens.

3. I went to the National Community Church Sunday. I'll have to do a whole write up on that, maybe after I go next Sunday.

4. NY. I remember Christmas in the blistering cold in a church on the upper west side. Man, those were good times. Wait come to think of it, I’ve never been in NY at Christmas time, my hotel this week is a block south of central park, and I have yet to be in any of the churches NW of there. Other than that though, I know exactly how Ryan Adams feels when he writes:

“…But I tried to keep the overhead low. Farewell to the city and the love of my life - at least we left before we had to go…” Ah, yes…keeping the overhead low. Turns out, that is nigh impossible to do in NY.

Well, that’s the sweet and low.

Oh, if you would be interested in taking part in an online discussion of: The Chronicles of Narnia, hit me up with an email. I think that could be pretty saweet.

C. Foo!

2 comments:

Alex said...

Gibran,
I, too, have experienced the Holocaust Museum...rough business. I don't remember waves of oppression coming from the Licoln Memorial but, hey, fair is fair. Hope the NYC swing is going well. When do fat cats send you to Beantown?

~mike said...

Ah I wish. It would be nice. Actually I heard we were submitting a proposal for a job there, but I don't think we won it. Either way, I wasn't on that team so it wouldn't have mattered.

As far as the lincoln memorial, ok. It wasn't really oppressive, certainly not in an evil manner. Mostly it was just so big and monumental I was prompted to write stuff that took myself even more seriously than usual and turned out being rather silly in retrospect.