Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Meditations on Friday

These aren’t really meditations but when writing the subject line I decided it was catchier than saying, “I’m thinking about Friday”.

I find it interesting that each time a friend or family member comes out to DC I get asked the same question about what they should do, what things they should see. I find it depressing that each time I have to answer the same thing, “Uhm, I don’t know. After this week you will have done more touristy things than I have in 7 months.” That is one disadvantage to having lived so far outside DC for the first 3 months; I never wanted to come back here on the weekend. Now that I live closer you would think I might have done more. The problem however is that after work I don’t usually want to spend the remaining few hours of free time out exploring DC. “Why?” you might very reasonably ask. In which case I would answer you, “Because I am quite bad at doing things that involve me breaking out of routine.”

I realize how incredibly horrible this answer is, and what it says about my personality. In an effort to fight this, I will be dedicating this Friday to getting out of the house and doing stuff. I have Friday off work because it is the summer and it is my rotation to have Friday off. This means I’ve had to work extra M-Th, but not much more than I usually do. I’m calling this Friday my Vacation in DC. One day isn’t much of a vacation, but I’m hoping to ride my bike around the mall (area with all the monuments), and hopefully even go to the Holocaust memorial.

So if any of my family can think of things I should do on my “vacation” they should let me know. I’ll keep you posted on how things went.

Also worth noting:
-This weekend will be Ana’s graduation party (daughter of the friends I stayed with in LaPlata),
-Next week I will be in NY all week so if anyone has some cool places I should try to go, other than the usual tourist places I have already been to, tell me what they are.
-In two weeks Grant is in town for a few days. Good times.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Michael,
One of my favorite was the Smithsotian (sp) Museum of American History. The flag that was flying at the Pentagon on 911 when hit is there, I saw Edith and Archie Bunker' chairs, Mr. Rogers sweater, Fonzie's leather jacket and lots of presidential objects. They also had a cool display of a house from the 1800's that has been taken apart piece by piece and re-bulit in the same condition inside the buliding, it given's a glimpse of how life was back then.
But, my favorite part of all was seeing where my son lives and works. I have some good pictures to send you.
PS don't walk all the way to the Lincoln Memorial if it is real hot.
YO momma

Anonymous said...

Totally irrelevant question, but did you get your think with the bank taken care of from Memorial Day weekend?