Monday, March 07, 2005

At Dupont in March

The weather was pretty nice today.

Just north of where I work is Dupont Circle. Five streets run into this roundabout resulting in ten spokes radiating out. Between each is a wedge shaped building, similar to that iconic one in Times Square. In the center of the circle is a plaza. There are two concentric circles of benches surrounding the plaza. Between the first and second circle of benches is a grassy area with trees for shade. Today there were people lying on the grass eating lunch and a preschool class was playing there. The area between the second circle and the center of the plaza is radial pavement. At the middle of the circle is a fountain about 50 feet across. At the center of this fountain is a sculpted column, perhaps 8’ in diameter at the base and 5’ at the shaft. The shaft of the column is sculpted to display 3 female forms. Above the shaft is a shallow dish, maybe 12’ in diameter, over the edge of which water will run when it is warmer.

There is no water in the fountain because it is supposed to freeze tomorrow. Today though several kinds are running around inside the basin. A guy in jeans is lying on the ledge of the basin with his legs crossed. Some girls are sitting on the fountain steps eating and talking. One is sitting, criss-cross facing the other who is sitting with her legs hanging down the ledge, facing towards me and the outside of the circle. Many more people sit around the circle, either on the ledge, the stairs or just the pavement. Even more are cutting through on their way to or from lunch.

The two guys sitting next to me are listening to classic rock on a transistor radio. They are not wearing the typical business attire or hip college dress. Both are wearing old jeans and tattered shirts. One has a pair of black boots. The first guy here was complaining that someone went through his bag last night. The other blows some cigarette smoke and says, “I couldn’t watch it all night, I had to sleep sometime.”

The twenty-something who just sat down across from me is wearing a bright red miniskirt, light blue shirt and sunglasses lifted up against the dark bangs on her forehead. The tone of her pre-spring skin contrasted against the bright summer clothes and dark hair is quite striking. I’m starting to remember what I like about summer. Orange soda in a glass bottle and a red purse sit next to her. She casually reads a magazine while she using a pair of dark chopsticks to pick at the sushi she brought with her.

I ate lunch at Dupont Circle today, and it was nice to have such beautiful weather.

6 comments:

Grant Randall said...

so do you have a laptop now? or do you write, then take it home and put it on the computer?

~mike said...

I really wish I had a laptop, but alas...No, I just wrote in a notebook with pen and paper then transferred it to the computer when I got back to the office.
MikeyC>

Anonymous said...

I hope no one with eye problems looks at your site. The font is super small. What's up with that?

~mike said...

Yeah, you're the second person to tell me that my font looks odd. If anyone out there would like to tell me what they are using for their font settings that would be groovy. I'm using: Arial font, Normal Size...on the blogger settings. I'll try adjusting this one to something larger and tell me how it appears.

Anonymous said...

Looks much better Cash Money Mike.

~mike said...

Rock and Roll