Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Triumvirate

1. Is it rude to continuously refer to a friend by a nickname they don’t appreciate? What about if they actually despise it? Seemingly the answer to this would be, yes – quite rude. I think it probably falls into the same category as not punching people because, you know, you wouldn’t want to be punched either. Maybe I’m wrong. I mean it is really entertaining, and not just to get his reaction...but rather for some purely intrinsic value. And of course this is all hypothetical. None of it is because I have a friend who hates a certain name that every one calls him (*caugh GARY caugh*). If I did have a friend like that however, it would puzzle me how much it bothered him. I would also have great respect for him though in that he continues to live his life in complete defiance of these people…I suspect one day at a time.

2. Yes the streets in DC are named in a rather bizarre manner, owing to the odd arrangement of the city. DC is essentially divided into 4 quarters, North West, NE, SW, SE. A north-south line running through the capital and the east-west line running through said building create the divisions for this grid. The N/S streets are increasing numbered as you go East or West from the central line. The E/W streets are increasing letters as you go North or South from the central line. Diagonal streets are named after states. As a result of this system all addresses in DC have a note on them as to NW, NE, etc. My office is at 1250 Connecticut Ave, NW. So there you go. Unfortunately this doesn’t allow for an intersection of P and T streets. Maybe we can lobby for a change. Doug, you’re always welcome out here anyway.

3. Why is it that it always seems to rain when I really want to go for a bike ride? Subquestion-Why do people always want to go to great restaurants the day that I’ve decided to start eating healthy again?

No comments: