Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Halloween

For anyone mildly curious, I went to a costume party (there, doesn’t that sound better than “house party”?) in New Jersey Saturday. It was right on the border of Philadelphia so I also got to eat authentic Philly cheese steak at Jim’s on 4th and South. It was awesome.

The road trip up there was great as well since I spent part of the time reading a new “periodical” I had just purchased (“Print” for those curious - good magazine) and the other part discussing the nature of Church, the condition of the church today, and the idea of fellowship/community/accountability with Malcolm and Wendell. Also, to update, I met Malcolm McGregor (Molly’s middle brother) a few weeks back at a house warming party (again, better than “house party”, right?) thrown by some people from National Community Church.

Malcolm wasn’t going to wear a costume since he claimed to despise the idea, but when I convinced him that getting in without one might be difficult he reconsidered. Thankfully. We convinced him to go as Malcolm in the Middle, a feat which was accomplished by having him wear a piece of poster board that said Malcolm on both his front and back. As an added benefit there was loads of free space for people to sign their names (or the names of their costumes).

The other guy that I went down there with, Wendell, was originally going to be an “Old School Aviator”. When I told him I wasn’t sure that a pair of jeans, a scarf, and J Lo glasses would necessarily come across as aviator - he decided to go as Lenny Kravitz. He sported only a tight white shirt, partially unbuttoned; said J Lo glasses; spikey hair; and a somewhat fashionable scarf. It doesn’t sound like dead on Lenny, but this guy already had a vaguely similar build and with the glasses it all worked alright. Oh, and not to be racist, but facts are facts, his skin tone didn’t hurt the costume either, though I don’t think Lenny is a Trini.

I had absolutely no idea what I wanted to be so I decided to put the green blazer my grandpa passed down to me to good use. I put bandana on my head, wore some torn fabric around my wrist (Nick Devine style), and put the green blazer on. The problem was that every time someone asked me what I was (yes, this happened a lot) I had to reply with the lengthy costume title, “I’m the guy who mugged the guy who just won the masters.”

12 comments:

Grubesteak said...

Trini? Like Trini Lopez?

Patti said...

Sounds more like Jay from Project Runway.

~mike said...

no, Trini like his family is from Trinidad.

Grant Randall said...

i thought you meant Tranni

~mike said...

oy ve.

Anonymous said...

no mention of the special support pole at the show/costume ball...

~mike said...

I don't subscribe to it but I LOVE it. This is my first volume. The cover is hilarious though. If no one beats me to it I'll post the funny commentary about "interacting" with it in new and interesting wiys.

~mike said...

Ah yes, by the by, there was also a "dancing" pole that several people made an attempt at using. Uhm...a couple of people were a little too good using it and I'm uncertain how I feel about that. My friend Brian, whose party it was tried to "interact" with it but his egyptian version of a dress(?) didn't result in very flamboyant dance moves.

Anonymous said...

As Mr. Brian’s agent I would like to state that at no point did said Egyptian Galabia-clad bass player ever attempt to “interact” with any load bearing (or powder pink finished) poles and or support beams. My agency and I would also request that you no longer refer to His Royal Bass-ness without the proper title given to him by Bilaal Sa'eed Marakesh, the Sultan of the lower end flow.
Sincerely,
Mohamed “abu-haroof majnoon” Sheik Yerbooti D.D.S.

~mike said...

Wow, with comments like that I'm afraid the wrong sort of people are going to start "reviewing" my site. I don't need this page added to any watch lists!

Oh, and Patti, do you know when the new season of Project Runway starts? Bravo appears to be all secretive about it but I heard something about Decemberish. Any idea?

Patti said...

I haven't heard anything about it...but I did just sign you up for the Project Runway mailing list. You're welcome!! Heheee

~mike said...

oohhhhhh....yeah. Sorry about that. I'll get that out to you.

Oh, and project runway must be getting close because I just got an email verifying that I was on the mailing list. Maybe they are getting ready to release a date???

Mike